Peak to Peak
Helping industry access state-of-the-art measurement and monitoring technologies.
Who We Are
Peak to Peak Measurement Solutions Ltd. are based in Sheffield (UK) and specialise in developing and supplying standard and non-standard embedded sensor technologies, for the measurement and monitoring of dynamic machine elements.
Our core technology uses permanently embedded micro-ultrasonic transducers for the measurement of interfaces and materials, predominantly in the field of tribology. We have unique capabilities for the following measurements:
- Lubricant film thickness & degradation
- Lubricant/fluid viscosity
- Contact pressure, contact mapping, sealing, & interfacial stiffness
- Wear, corrosion, erosion, delamination
- Bulk material stress (static and dynamic), & residual stress
- Dynamic position & displacement
- Flash temperatures
We work with academic and industrial partners to help them access new technology to perform state-of-the-art measurements. Through collaboration with us, our partners understand more about their equipment, products, and assets resulting in improved functionality, cost reduction, and system optimisation.
To find out the different ways we work with collaborators, click here.
Our core sensor technologies
Our complementary technologies
We provide sensors and bespoke sensor systems to organisations worldwide for the following measurements.
Industries we work in
Internal Combustion Engines
We have instrumented and tested many small, mid-size, and large combustion engine components for in situ measurement and monitoring of:
- Main and journal bearing lubricant film thickness and viscosity
- Bearing wear
- Piston-ring & liner lubricant film thickness
- Liner dynamic stress, internal flash temperature, and wear
We predominantly focus our wind turbine efforts on the measurement and monitoring of main, pitch, and gearbox bearings. The following parameters are reported:
- Roller & race contact size, pressure, location, skew, and misalignment.
- Trapped and free-surface lubricant film thickness and reflow rate.
- Race wear and stratic/dynamic stresses.
Many manufacturing operations rely on precise control of high pressure tolling interfaces. To optimise productivity and quality, these interfaces can be monitored to ensure optimum conditions. Some examples include:
- Metal extrusion/punching tool-die interface contact pressure, area, and tool wear.
- Steel rolling – contact pressure and area, lubricant film thickness, stress.
Wheel and Rail
One of our favourite applications – the wheel-rail interface and vehicle-track interaction (VTI). We are the world leading experts in the following measurements:
- Wheel-rail contact patch size, location, and pressure, yaw, wheelflats
- Wheel-rail interfacial stiffness, from which rail roughness and traction can be monitored
- Lubricant and other 3rd body layer (leaves, sand, water, ice) condition/thickness
- Dynamic stress (L/V), residual stress, longitudinal rail stress
We focus on 2 distinct applications in the marine market:
- Combustion engine journal bearing and piston-liner film thickness, dynamic piston stress, flash temperatures, and liner wear
- Environmentally acceptable lubricants – performance characterisation concerning high shear rates, pressure-viscosity effects, and degradation/hydrolysis
How We Work
Peak to Peak works with small and large industrial and academic partners worldwide. We provide specialist knowledge and bespoke equipment solutions to help our collaborators measure and monitor the key parameters of their equipment. Some example collaborative frameworks are described below, for more specific examples have a look at our Case Studies
We provide expert advice about the most appropriate sensor systems that are available and provide support in procurement, installation, and data treatment. We also have a wide area of expertise in the fields of tribology, lubricants, and rotating machines.
Often, the best place to start is a small consultancy collaborative project to give first-hand experience of the instrumentation options moving forward.
Testing in our labs
We have a wide range of measurement equipment and benchtop demonstration testing platforms, where we can demonstrate different measurement capabilities or perform rigorous product testing on your behalf.
Our labs are constantly growing and we have a wide range of trusted industrial partnerships, so get in touch and we can let you know if we can carry any testing burdens you may be having.
Installation and testing/monitoring in your facility
We can provide bespoke instrumentation of your components with a wide range of sensor technologies and our expert team members can travel to your location, help with the installation, set-up of the equipment and any integration/IoT.
From there, either we can operate the data capture equipment and provide the results to you in a report, or we can permanently supply you with the equipment and provide training so you have the in-house capabilities to perform ongoing testing/condition monitoring.
In-service field measurements
We have a breadth of experience instrumenting field equipment. We can work with your team to plan the most appropriate instrumentation program and then we can either instrument the equipment in advance and travel on-site to support with the set-up, or in many cases, we can provide the installation on-site, there and then.
This can be a one-off test or we can permanently supply the equipment for continuous condition monitoring. We can also help with data handling, cloud-based data access, machine learning/ANN, and integration to your systems.
Supply of serial measurement product
We can work with your team to develop a serial sensor solution that OEMs and other industrial organisations can then supply as an increased value product offering to your customers.
“What about all the data?”
Some of our customers want to work with us to develop their own data treatment algorithms and to keep this internal. Others prefer us to configure the system to provide real-time output of whatever the parameter is that is required.
See below for some example impact projects we have delivered to our industrial partners.
Hydrodynamic lubricant characterisation using advanced sensor ensemble
Marine, Automotive, Lubrication
- h Film Thickness
- η Viscosity
- σ Stress
- Film Breakdown
- Acoustic Emissions
- Active Ultrasonics
Instrumented engine liner for piston-ring oil film thickness measurement
- h Film Thickness
- σ Stress
- Active Ultrasonics
Please feel free to use this form to get in touch with us with any queries, we are always excited to hear about new instrumentation and measurement challenges, alternatively drop us an email at [email protected] and we will get straight back to you.